Smoothie: The New Health Fad
Looking for new ideas for breakfast, the most important meal of the day! As a healthy alternative to tea and toast or bacon and eggs, smoothies are a delicious way to start your day. If you don’t own a blender already, buy a good one. Blenders for smoothies can be expensive. Look upon the cost as an investment in your health.
Fruit and/or vegetables with liquid form the basis for a smoothie. And, for those individuals, who don’t get enough fruit or vegetables in their diet, smoothies or other natural, sugar-free drinks, such as green tea, are an excellent way to boost overall health, improve energy levels and reduce stress.
Advantages of drinking smoothies for breakfast
* Smoothies are quick and easy to make. Just give yourself 15 minutes in the kitchen to prepare the ingredients. Frozen fruit, such as blueberries or strawberries, will cut down on the preparation time
* All ages can enjoy smoothies from kids who won’t eat their vegetables to the older person, whose diet lacks essential nutrients, such as the potassium found in leafy vegetables like spinach. Individuals with diabetes and kidney problems need to watch their potassium levels carefully, and must monitor their use of smoothies accordingly
* Use locally-grown fruit and vegetables that are preferably organic and in season. Rotate different fruit or vegetables in your drink to obtain a variety of nutrients. Take note that vegetables such as kale, spinach, beet greens, carrots, and cucumber, among others are exceptional sources of vitamins and minerals.
* Smoothies are rich in fibre from the pureed fruit and vegetables, and the liquid helps to keep your body well hydrated
* The addition of plain yoghurt to your breakfast drink provides calcium and protein. Try to avoid adding full-fat milk or sugar to fruit smoothies. Fruit is a natural sweetener.
If initially you don’t want to experiment by creating your own smoothie recipes, use some of the many available on the internet. They are generally easy-to-prepare and come with regular ingredients that can be purchased at the nearest retail store.