Meatless Monday is back! Love this day! Not that I’m a veggie-tarian or anything, but I’m all about eating healthy, good and cheap, and going meatless (but keeping the flavor) is something that ought to be celebrated.
This dish sure does deliver. I follow Mario’s recipe pretty close, just added a bit more lemon and used a whole pound of whole wheat spaghetti versus just half a pound.
Tonging the spaghetti into the sage infused butter was key for the consistency of the sauce. Draining using this method holds just the right amount of cooking liquid in the pasta to help adhere the sauce more.
Lets keep Meatless Monday under the spotlight! Try this and let me know what you think.
brown butter sage spaghetti Slightly adapted from Mario Batali’s recipe
1 lb whole wheat spaghetti (or your favorite pasta)
8 purple sage leaves (regular green sage works fine)
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
Juice from 1 lemon
1/4 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat butter over medium heat until it starts to brown but does not burn.
3. Add the sage and turn off the heat. Toss the sage in the butter and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the lemon juice and set aside.
5. When pasta is cooked turn off heat, using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer pasta to sauce, draining the excess water each time. Thoroughly toss pasta in the sauce.
6. Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
- meatless monday: cliantro lentil stew (thetalkingkitchen.com)
- Meatless Mondays: Lentil Fritters (thetalkingkitchen.com)
- Meatless Monday: Lemony Pasta (thetraceyshow.wordpress.com)
- Meatless Monday: Butternut Squash & Sage Risotto (greenlinglocal.wordpress.com)